Leonhard Grötsch - The artistic PersonGerman/English
About Leonhard Groetsch
- Online Exhibition - Artboxy Partner Gallery - From Feb 01 - Feb 15, 2023 - LOS ANGELES ART LAB, 1306 Abbot Kinney Boulevard, Los Angeles, CA, USA - with the first three paintings of the Gospel of John Series: In the Beginning, The Word, The Word was God
- Online Exhibition - Artbox Projects New York 2.0 - ARTEXPO Manhattan - "Yellow Abstraction" - 17th - 26th April 2023
- Exhibition "Habitats I" at Art Association Fulda - from April 2 to Mai 21, 2023 - with the new painting "Northern Light"
- Online Exhibition - Artbox Projects - "EuroExpo Basel 2.0" - Euro-Airport Basel - June 15th - June 18th 2023 - "Erotic 2"
- Online Exhibition - artboxy.com - "EuroExpo Basel" - Euro-Airport Basel - June 15th - June 18th 2023 - three paintings from Dolphin Series
- Online Exhibition - artboxy.com - Nicolta Gallery Berlin, Kantstrasse 17, 10623 Berlin (Germany) - September 2023
- Annual Exhibition Art Association Fulda - "Fragile" - from Sept 24, to Nov 26, 2023 - at Vonderau Museum Fulda
Curriculum Vitae - Resume
Welcome to the picture gallery of Leonhard Groetsch (Germany).
These sites contain a gallery of paintings, but not an online shop. But the paintings are for sale.
Leonhard was born on Dec 18th 1947 in Wuerzburg (Germany) as the oldest of three brothers. He completes studies of business administration at the universities of Wuerzburg and Munich with the diploma in Wuerzburg in 1974. He marries in 1979. Until 1992 he works as head of finance and accounting or controller for various manufacturing German and British companies in the areas of Stuttgart, Wuerzburg, Fulda and Marburg. Since 1992 he works as a freelancer in the audit and since 1998 he has worked as a private tutor. And Leonhard is involved in arts from time to time.
First exhibition in Fulda
His artistic talents attract attention already in elementary school. When he is 17 he starts to paint with oils. After graduating he discards the idea of studying art, because in the eyes of his contacts the perspective of artistic creation means poverty. So Leonhard becomes self taught, his paintings are hidden creations. In 1992 the first time Leonhard organizes two solo exhibitions of his paintings in Fulda.
The fight for a distinctive style results in Count-Art
In the mid 1990s, inspired by philosophical literature, he changes his opinion about what an art painting should be. He comes to believe that a painting shouldn't only focus on the ego of the artist but on a positve message. A further insight is that artistic creation is a religous work, an idea that was granted in previous centuries. Some books of the German philosopher Carl Friedrich von Weizsäcker (1912-2007) have an important influence on him, in which the author explains the essence of art using the compositions of Johann Sebastian Bach as an example. Because of a dream at night Leonhard comes in touch with the book "Kabbalah in Dreamlife of Man". His wife gives him this book as a present written by the Hebrew Friedrich Weinreb (1910-1988), who makes the oldest Jewish Kabbalah understandable for the presence. And Leonhard becomes involved in the works of Swiss' naturopath Emma Kunz (1892-1963). He finds out that her imagery can be decrypted by the Kabbalah. Between 1995 and 1998 a text about her work Nr. 168 comes into being, which, however, has never been published.
Since 1993-1994 the Dolphin Series and the first paintings of the "Gospel of John Series" come into being, starting with the prototype of Count Art (1994), a Concept of Art which bases on counted strokes. Attempts to get a gallerist are not sucessful and his artistic activities die. In 2005 Leonhard meets the chairman of the Art Association Fulda by accident on the occasion of his exhibition, which he joins the same year. Untill today he was involved in more than 30 group exhibitions. Since 2011 he is as member of the board of the art association responsible for the finances. In 2016 he presents a third solo exhibition with the title "Word - Figure - Human Beeings", which included the paintings of the Book of John and his figurative paintings. In Spring 2018 he is invited to the exhibition room DELF in Vienna, Austria, to present his Dolphin Series from 1993 und 1994. Also in Spring 2018 the Indian ecologist Sunita Narain buys her portrait created by Leonhard on the occasion of the exhibition "Human Beings" at Vonderau Museum Fulda in the year 2008.
For some years Leonhard has been participating in international online-exhibiions mainly in Europe.
These sites and their update have been existing since 2005. For more information see at "Paintings" and at each painting in detail. (Version Sep, 2023)
Saatchiart Link to Saatchi Art, contemporary art, USA
Kunstverein Fulda - Website Art Association Fulda
Artboxy - Link to Artboxy, a site of contemporary art, Switzerland